Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Petals in Icing

Every year for my birthday, my father makes each of us kids a personalized cake. When I started playing violin, I had a violin cake. When I got my ears pierced, my dad actually made a cake shaped like an ear with a giant sprinkle-decorated earring. More recently I've had a world cake, a beehive, Italy shaped cake, iPod, and a ski! My brothers have also had some lovely cakes. Well, just one brother. One of my brothers doesn't even like cake (goodness)! Anyway, my younger brother just got his braces off, so my dad made a giant smile!

My mother also works at a bakery, and while she doesn't make cakes, everything else she makes is heavenly. Apple hand pies, tarts, whoopie pies, mm!

You could say baking is in my blood. I've always liked to bake, and had a lot of sweet successes! As I've gotten older, I've wanted to learn how to cake decorate so I can make amazing cakes for my kids someday too. While neither of my parents have had any official baking training, I knew I needed to read up before I started decorating with icing. My mom did once teach herself how to do cake decorating, so I was lucky to have a Wilton's Cake Decorating book already (which can be purchased at Michael's Craft Stores).

Here's my first attempt at decorating! I had a lot of fun, not to mention I was pleased with my start! I can't wait to learn more. And they were pretty yummy :)

Forgive the picture quality. I was in our kitchen at night, so the light was pretty harsh!





 I really loved doing vines! I think they would be lovely as a cake border




This one reminded me of a hydrangea! 



Hope you all enjoyed a sweet today!

Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment